Christmas 2017!

Christmas 2017 is in the books. Actually it was done before Christmas even officially arrived as we had all our celebrations a bit early which left us home alone yesterday.  On a day that didn't even register out of the single digits, that is exactly where I was happy to be!

Grandkids Taylor and Merrick are staying for a week's visit. Now that they are in school these visits have to be relegated to summer and school vacations, so I am home being Grandma this week! It's reminding me of those days when we had small children and how much chaos they can create in such a short time!

I am truly beginning to feel old. The two daughters who were here for Christmas argued who got some of my dishes when I die! I haven't really felt the grim reaper breathing down my neck but maybe I need to check closer. The way things go around here I will probably break them before I die anyway.

One train of thought always comes to mind after having a house full of company...we need a bigger house! Actually our house is smaller and just perfect for the two of us. We raised 3 kids in this house and at one point, when April and Matthew moved home for a short time, we had 7 of us living here. Of course, now when everyone comes home there are over 20 of us so it gets really crowded. We usually have to make off-site arrangements for some of them to sleep, and walking through the house feels like swimming in mud!

In my mind I have the perfect solution for this. We would build the ideal house for accommodating just us and area to expand when the kids come home to visit. So let me dream just a bit:



It would be a large two-story farm house complete with a wrap around porch. I see it painted white with trees and flowers around it, just like something you would see in a movie. 

Inside the first floor would be all our living space, large roomy kitchen with a walk-in pantry, a great room where we would dine and a parlor-type living area for sitting and visiting. Of course there would be large windows and great lighting and comfy chair arrangements around a fire place. There would be a designated room for TV viewing so that guests could visit without the TV blaring in their face.

The master suite would also be on the main floor...and by suite I mean "sweet". Large bedroom, walk-in closet, sitting area and our own private bath complete with a soaking tub. It is the place I could go to have some quiet time in the midst of the company chaos.

Upstairs would be only bedrooms and bathrooms, at least 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I reason that this would work because I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time running up and down steps since this would just be guest quarters.  Decorating each room would be fun as I would use a different theme for each room. 

On a practical level, there is probably no way we could ever afford even a modest home like this. It would run more than half a million bucks to build, let alone furnish, decorate and maintain! 

So, my practical solution is to pray that my children will be able to afford large homes and they can host holiday get togethers!  I win all the way around...small house to take care of day to day and I don't have to clean it in order to have company! So, kids, get out there and make your fortunes so you can have this big awesome house that I can come to visit in. 

So I hope you all had a merry Christmas, or will have if  you are one of those families who are celebrating a bit later. Jesus may be the reason for the season, but loved ones make it even nicer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Winter

Dress Stress

Welcome Back!!!