Showing Off My Finished Project

There are two kinds of people in the world...those who gain satisfaction just living day to day with whatever they get done and those, like me, whose satisfaction comes from productivity. My mother was the first type of person who didn't feel she had to conquer the entire world to consider herself worthy. My dad considered it a wasted day if he couldn't point to a pile of completed projects to make his day feel worthwhile. When he became too frail to go to the woodshop and create some wooden masterpiece, this was the beginning of the end for him.

We came home from Arizona this year with a list of things I wanted to accomplish this summer...clean up that cluttered corner of the backyard, fix the clothesline so I could use it, get new trim on the house, paint the woodshop, paint the living/dining room in the house. I got virtually none of those things done, although family is arriving tomorrow to help me with the painting in the house. The rest of the list will probably just sit until next summer.

However, I did accomplish something this summer that I didn't have on my list. I love to crochet and knit. Having inherited all of Mom's yarn, added to mine it makes a pretty impressive stash of yarn. So I decided to make it a goal to use up a lot of that yarn in various projects. Enter the "scrapghan" project. This is an afghan made from a variety of left over yarns. As I was sorting the yarn I realize there is enough yarn to make several of these projects. On Monday I finished my first scrapghan project. I literally worked on this the entire summer. I needed to get it finished so that I could prepare the guest bed for company so made the effort. The results are very satisfying.


I also inherited Mom's crochet patterns and am now working on the "Navajo Diamond" afghan using a variety of brilliant colors. This project is not nearly so intense and will travel well so maybe it won't take an entire season of the year to complete.

Not everyone enjoys knitting and crocheting but I hope each of you can find something to do that brings a sense of satisfaction to your existence. Some people scrapbook (and I've got a pile of supplies and pictures begging for attention). One of my Facebook friends paints and posts her daily projects online for everyone to enjoy. Some people enjoy puttering around the kitchen making delicious meals or desserts. Some sew, some craft in other ways, and some people don't care to do any of it. I have to say I don't understand not doing some project, but we're not all Sandi...and this is a good thing. 

It's been a while since I've been here and just wanted to share my project with you. Hope you are having a good week.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Winter

Dress Stress

Welcome Back!!!