2019...Almost a Wrap

Well Christmas 2019 is in the books, and we are almost ready to step through time into 2020! Since I failed, once again, to get Christmas cards out, I will take this means to recap the year and extend our holiday wishes to all our friends.



2019 began with a huge change as I retired at that time. Looking back now I realize it was a bit like stepping off into thin air. I had been at my job for over 20 years with all the security that afforded me, and now that security blanket was gone. But it was also freeing to realize that I didn't need to be at work tomorrow.

We saw a dream come true when we left the cold and snow of Nebraska for sunny Arizona at the end of January. If you kept up with my Facebook group from that time, you know how that went. If you didn't, rest assured it was all we had imagined and more. We bummed around on the Arizona desert for two months, managing to miss the worst winter Nebraska had seen for many years and all the subsequent flooding. We embarked on our journey home at the end of March, sorry to be leaving the Valley of the Sun.

We arrived home only to launch into another adventure, bilateral knee surgery for me. The surgery took place on April 10th, which goes down in my personal history as the day I got my life back. It took me a couple months to recover from the surgery and complete the physical therapy, but what a great feeling it was to finally be free from the painful knees!

By the time I was recovered from surgery, we were into Fast Draw  season. That took us on journeys to Kansas, Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota. Our club also hosted the Nebraska and Great Plains Territorial in September.

After healing up from the surgery, I started back to work part time. I decided that going from full-time employment to no-time employment was a bit of a shock. And Heather needed some help at the shop so I began to learn a new job. I did bookkeeping at Hespe Auto a couple days a week. I worked until Christmas Eve and am now on a four month vacation. It's the perfect job for a semi-retired person.

One highlight from the summer trips was our trip to Wisconsin. Taylor and Merrick had stayed with us for the week before the trip, then we took them along with us. It was a grueling 11 hour trip each way, but they were troopers and traveled without complaint. While we were there we visited the Superior Zoo as well as got to travel up the coast of Lake Superior where we visited a lighthouse. They kids even got to wade in Lake Superior. We all agreed that we had a wonderful time.

Mike had cataract surgery on both eyes this summer which made it possible for him to see with only readers. Both surgeries went very well, but the pre-op for the first surgery uncovered a heart issue which caused us some concern. He had a heart cath and a stent installed in Sioux Falls in August. The doctor uncovered evidence of a previous heart attack. The whole ordeal set Mike back for a few months, but he seems to be regaining his strength and energy once again and the numbers seem to be saying he is doing well. 

We were busy at the wood shop most of the summer and into the fall. We finally finished up all the projects just before Christmas and have shut down the shop in preparation for our next big adventure, an even longer stay in Arizona. We will be leaving tomorrow, sorry to be leaving family and friends but so ready to soak up some of that Arizona sun.

We count our blessings double when it comes to our family. The kids are all living productive and blessed lives. Our family tree continues to spread..we now have four great grandsons. Most everyone is either healthy or headed for better health. My mother and Mike's dad are doing fairly well for being in their late 80's. Life has been good!

We want to wish everyone a happy new year and hope that 2020 will be your best year yet. I would invite you to keep in touch with us through my blog page, Mike and Sandi's Big Adventure. I seem to post more faithfully from Arizona. And we feel closer to home by sharing our adventures. Otherwise, we will see most of you in May!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Winter

Dress Stress

Welcome Back!!!